Helping You Prepare
T he Fire Department of the City of New York offers multiple resources to help those seeking to join the ranks of the FDNY. Online candidate resources are currently available for those seeking employment as New York City Firefighters. Please note:
Firefighter Candidates with list numbers from 1 to 2,800 have been contacted to resume processing, which includes scheduling medical exam appointments. To help prepare for the medical exam, including the new Stairmill Test, we encourage you to review the information below or on the Candidate Portal. This update is subject to change due to COVID-19 spikes and/or restrictions.
- Exam #7001 was established on February 27, 2019.
Do You Know Your List Number?
During the Firefighter Candidate process, it is useful to know your Firefighter Exam List Number. To obtain the most accurate information on your list number, please call (212) 669-1357.
For general questions about the FDNY Recruitment process, please call (718) 999-FDNY (3369).
To view your score online, go to NYC Open Data Civil Service List (active).
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
The Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) and the FDNY have started processing candidates who received a score of 100 percent or higher on Exam #7001. The second round of practice sessions and testing for candidates who scored 101 or 100 percent started in July of 2019 and concluded in September 2019.
Practice sessions are different from training sessions. Passing one of the two practice tests counts for passing the CPAT. This means that you have three chances to pass the CPAT.
If you receive a notice in the mail, but are unable to attend your physical test date, you may reschedule for another test date during specific times during that round of testing by calling (718) 937-4721.
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) Workout Series:
The Tutorial Preparation Booklet has been assembled to help prepare FDNY Applicants for the upcoming New York City Firefighter exam. This booklet will provide you with valuable test and note-taking tips, along with sample math and reading comprehension exercises.
Firefighter Candidate Prep
While at the FDNY Training Academy, Firefighter Candidates undergo 18 weeks of intensive work. Overall grades at the Fire Academy include an assessment of in-class exams, academics and physical fitness performance.
To help Firefighter Candidates succeed, the Fire Department offers a series of videos on: Understanding the FDNY Candidate Medical Evaluation Process, Probationary Firefighter School, How to Read an FDNY Document Correctly, Effective Study Habits, How to Perform Better on FDNY Exam, An Overview of Physical Fitness Standards and two Probationary Firefighters School Physical Training Videos.
The following document resources are available for Firefighter Candidates to download and review.
- Candidate Mentorship Program Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Candidate Physical Ability Test Orientation (CPAT) (PDF)
- Physical Preparation Guide (PDF)
- Probie Manual (PDF)
- Probationary FF Reading Assignment(PDF)
- Study Guide Test Questions (PDF)
- Certified First Responder Manual (PDF)
- Certified First Resonder Study Guide (PDF)
- Detalied Study Aids on Select Topics (PDF)
- Candidate Medical Release Form (PDF)
Candidate Processing FAQ
Guide to FDNY Firefighter Candidate Medical Examinations
As part of the Fire Department’s medical evaluation, Firefighter Candidates are required to completed certain forms or portions of forms. As a resource to Firefighter Candidates, a sample of these forms are listed below. Please note, Firefighter Candidates are not required to print any form, as all forms will be supplied to you by the Fire Department’s Bureau of Health Services (BHS).
- Firefighter Candidate Medical Examination Guidance (PDF)
- Firefighter Candidate Computerized Medical History Questionnaire (PDF)
- Candidate Tuberculosis Questionnaire and Informed Consent to Administer PPD Skin Test- BHS Form 3A (PDF)
- Observation of Tuberculosis Test Results- BHS Form 3B (PDF)
- Candidate Substance Testing Questionnaire- BHS Form 4 (PDF)
- Candidate Radiology Referral- BHS Form 5 (PDF)
- Candidate Evaluation by BHS Physician- BHS Form 6 (PDF)
- Notice to Candidates- BHS Form 7 (PDF)
Medical Assessment FAQs
- FAQs Part 1- Medical Exam General Information (PDF)
- FAQs Part 2- Medical Stations General Information (PDF)
- FAQs Part 3- Vital Signs Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 4- Electrocardiogram Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 5- Pulmonary Function Test Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 6- Routine Laboratory Test Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 7- Cardiopulmonary Fitness Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 8- Laboratory Test For unauthorized Substances Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 9- Immunization/PPD Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 10- Hearing Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 11- Vision Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 12- Chest X-Ray Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 13- Mask Fit Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 14- Physician Evaluation Station (PDF)
- FAQs Part 15- Candidate Follow-Up Actions That May Be Required (PDF)
Many FDNY Affinity Groups provide academic and physical training services throughout the hiring process. Interested Firefighter Applicants and Candidates should contact the organizations directly to find out what services they offer. FDNY Affinity Groups assist in strengthening the Department’s ongoing partnership with uniformed members and the community while leading initiatives that celebrate heritage.