C ongratulations on wanting to become an FDNY Fire Alarm Dispatcher. Below is information that will make it easier for you to learn more about how to become a Fire Alarm Dispatcher.
To be an FDNY Fire Alarm Dispatcher, you need to make sure you meet all eligibility requirements before applying to take the civil service exam.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- An associate degree or 60 semester college credits; or
- A four-year high diploma or its educational equivalent, and two years of satisfactory full-time experience in one of the following:
- As an airport or railroad traffic controller; as a fire alarm dispatcher in a Class “A” Fire Alarm System; or in a radio or telphone call receiving and/or dispatching position in an emergency communications facility dedicated to Police, Fire or EMS operations; or
- As a paid or unpaid dispatcher handling the receipt of multiple, simultaneous calls and radio dispatchng in response thereto in a non-firefighting/fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) dispatching capacity in a U.S. military facility, Parks Department, Sanitation, Medical Service or DEP; or
- As a paid firefighter and/or fire dispatcher as a member of a municipal or federal fire service/department or the New York City Fire Patrol; or
- Service as a Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician or Fire/EMS dispatching member in good standing or a recognized volunteer at a Fire/EMS department.
Medical Requirement: You will be examined to determine whether you can perform the essential functions of the position of Fire Alarm Dispatcher.
Drug Screening Requirement: You must pass a drug screening in order to be appointed.
Residency Requirement Advisory: Any person employed as a Fire Alarm Dispatcher must be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Orange, Rockland or Putnam counties. English Requirement: You must be able to understand and be understood in English.
Proof of Identity: Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you must be able to prove your identity and your right to obtain employment in the United States prior to employment with the City of New York.
A pplicants must take and pass the Walk–in Civil Service exam for Fire Alarm Dispatcher.