C ongratulations on wanting to become a part of the FDNY EMS Team. Below are detailed steps that will make it easier for you to learn more about how to become a FDNY EMS member.
Step 1: Meet Eligibility Requirements
Anyone looking to become a FDNY EMT or Paramedic must make sure to meet all eligibility requirements.
All applicants to the FDNY EMS Command must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Hold a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have a motor vehicle driver’s license valid in New York State
Note: A valid license from another state is ok as long as driving privileges in New York have not been lost due to outstanding fines, judgments or more.
Requirements for EMT Candidates Only:
- Have a valid NYS DOH EMS- Emergency Medical Technician Certificate.
Requirements for Paramedic Candidates Only:
- Have a valid NYS DOH EMS-Paramedic Certificate and New York City REMAC certification.
Step 2: Take Civil Service Exam When Offered by Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS)
The civil service exam for EMTs and Paramedics is offered about once a year. It is scored based on education and experience. Once an applicant takes the civil service exam, he or she will be put on a civil service list.
Step 3: Wait for Open Position
As jobs open, candidates will be contacted. They will then be required to fulfill additional testing (see below) to qualify for a civil service position.
Step 4: Take Physical Test
EMT and Paramedic candidates will be required to pass a qualifying physical test. This testing may continue periodically throughout your career. If you are currently service as a provisional EMT or Paramedic with the FDNY and already passed the qualifying physical test, you do not need to re-take the test.
VIDEO: Physical Agility Testing for EMS Candidates
Step 5: Undergo Medical and Psychological Testing
Medical and physical testing is a must for applicants. The applicant must have a physical to check on health. A psychological exam checks to make sure a candidate can deal with the stress and trauma that may come with the job. A background check and a drug test are also conducted.
Step 6: Enter Probationary Period
You will be in a 12 month probationary period. During this time a candidate is required to successfully complete a prescribed training course which includes time at the EMS Academy at Fort Totten in Queens.
Benefits and Salary
F DNY EMS members receive an incredible benefits package and a competitive salary.
- Choice of a wide variety of health plans with family and domestic partner coverage
- Three weeks vacation to start (can increase to five weeks after eight years)*
- Excellent pension benefits
- Extra compensation for shifts worked outside of regular work hours. Money for meals and overtime pay available.
- Excellent promotion opportunities
- Deferred compensation, 401K and flexible spending plans
- Veterans’ credits for those who meet the requirements
*Base salary does not include overtime and other benefits. Salary and vacation time are subject to change.
EMT Salary Information:
|Number of Years||Salary|
|After 1 Year||$37,250|
|After 2 Years||$37,914|
|After 3 Years||$43,901|
|After 5 Years||$50,604|
Paramedic Salary Information:
|Number of Years||Salary|
|After 1 Year||$53,135|
|After 2 Years||$55,302|
|After 3 Years||$61,005|
|After 5 Years||$65,226|